World MS Day Part 2!
What's happening on World MS Day?
Did you land here at World MS Day Part 2 first and want to read part 1 first? Click here.
Here in the United States:
- US National MS Society will send an email action alert to over 850,000 individuals with affiliations to the Society asking recipients to tell Congress to fix health care now.
- US National MS Society will launch an educational partnership with MS Societies in Cuba and India.
- Lori Schneider and Wendy Booker have traveled to Mount Everest seeking to be the first individuals with MS to summit. (You can read about them here: Empowerment Through Adventure and Wendy Booker. (Wendy had to return home because of ill health and bad weather, but Lori reached the summit of Mount Everest about 8:30 pm ET on Friday 5/22).
- Everyone has the opportunity to join the global MS movement. Make your voice heard.
- A Satellite Media tour will be held with country music star Clay Walker promoting a Society MS Learn Online program on Healthy Living with MS, sponsored by Teva Neuroscience.
- A Satellite Media tour will be held introducing the results of the MS Viewpoints Survey on Understanding the Outlook of Emerging Therapies, sponsored by EMD Serono.
- MyBrainGames developed by the MS Technology Collaborative, which includes the Society, Bayer HealthCare, and Microsoft, will preview the MyBrainGames created to address cognitive challenges in MS.
- A Press Release will be globally distributed by Biogen Idec supporting the goals of World MS Day.
And All Around the World:
- The rock group U2 has lent support to the goals of World MS Day by donating the use of their song "Beautiful Day" as the anthem for the global campaign film which highlights the many different faces of MS.
- MS Society of Palestine will open its first office.
- In Belgium, Canada, France and Luxembourg, "Roll for MS" cycling and motorcycling events will be held.
- In Ireland, eight people will climb six mountains in 72 hours.
- In Mumbai and Delhi, India, human chains will be formed.
- In Norway, a research conference will occur.
- In Greece and Cyprus, concerts will be offered.
Leading sports stars who support World MS Day
- Lionel Messi, Argentina, FC Barcelona footballer, will play in the European Champions' League Final, against Manchester United in Rome on World MS Day
- Josep Guardiola, Spain, FC Barcelona Manager
- Betty Cuthbert, Australia, four-times Olympic gold medallist runner
- Bjørn Dæhlie, Norway, eight-times Olympic gold medallist skier
- Cesc Fàbregas, Spain, Arsenal FC footballer
- Ignacio "Nacho" González, Uruguay, Newcastle FC footballer
What's it all about, again?
"The World Health Organization and MSIF recently published Atlas of MS revealed that MS is everywhere and is not merely a disease of western countries. This is why World MS Day is so important because it reinforces that MS is a global disease, which demands global awareness, a global movement and global action," said Joyce Nelson, President and CEO of the U.S. National MS Society. "There must also be quality and affordable healthcare to ensure that all people with MS can lead a life of possibility, dignity, and fulfillment," adds Ms. Nelson.
National MS Society
Come join the fun! Would you like to be part of this amazing and much needed event? For more information, visit to find out how you can participate, click here.
Go from Part 2 back to the Part 1.
"Life in Spite of MS is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. We're also part of the Ebay Partner Network, another affiliate program."
We'd also like you to know it doesn't cost one cent more when you click through the links here on our blog. Not one single penny. And we will make a little extra cash when you do click through. We'll be ever so appreciative. You also have our word that we'll only link to things that we would use ourselves, (or wish we could have or use).
Cir & Akrista
You are reading original content written by Akrista or Cir L'Bert of Life in Spite of MS. If you enjoyed reading this blog, please consider following us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram. See you there!